Saturday, May 07, 2005

People of the Free World

I received quite a few comments for the previous post. I am extremely glad that the visitors are very nice people who write in parliamentary language and greatly admire them for it. It is difficult to behave in a gentlemanly manner when someone is opposing you.
Posted by Hello


I respect everyone woh has posted a comment on my blog. Mr Hamel, Mr. Nixon, Mr. Sebastian, Mr. James, Madam Marci, Cutetwirler and all others, first of all thank you.
Posted by Hello


I dont want to turn this into a full fledged debate but a few points to elucidate why I opposed the war and to view some comments posted from my point of view:

1: Mr. Sebastian, as regard to war being in our blood; well YES and NO. I mean, the animal instinct in all of us drives us to war. That is why we are bloodthisty warriors. We get great joy in watching and participating in fughts. But, a good upbringing shall undo this harbinger of both war and death. I believe that all can resolved through good culture. Please correct me if you feel I am wrong here.

2: Mr. Hamel, I like your blog. Thanks for stopping by. Saddam might have attacked, but could I reiterate that we as people have no right to interfere in another's country. This is ofcourse, not just for Mr. Hamel

3: Madam Marci, you say that he would attack your country. Point taken. A question back to you, "How could someone with a fleet of around 300 tanks, possibly 200 planes and an army miniscule compared to your, situated almost 10000 miles away attack you?"
As regards to 911, that was bought on by Al Qaeda. So, blaming Saddam is unfair. As I said before, Afghanistan was justified in my view.

4: Mr. Nightcrawler (should be a very popular blog in my view), I believe it is fundmenatalism that plagues the world. And it might yield perjudiced judges. But then, that would result in the fall of the Judicial system, resulting in the taking of law into our own hands. This would yield the law of the Jungle.

A few opinions. All the posts seem to favour the war, but I strongly believe that since most of them were from America, the result was thus. What is surprising though is that most are (according to my site tracker) from the east coast in America, and as we all know Bush git wiped out in the elections along the coasts. But, the elections were closely fought I guess, and so the opinions were divided.

As regards to me, yes I am a Democrat. Probably because I am an Indian, the largest democracy in this world. And I am proud to be one. The country and my parents have taught me one thing; to respect everyone's views.

Thank you Mom and Dad. Thank you Mother India.

Regards,

Sunil.

P.S. No one wants war. Some grim realities.

Posted by Hello


Posted by Hello

11 Comments:

Blogger nixonreed said...

You again make excellent points. I don't feel they are wrong but if you see what we see every night or hear and or read what we do. You might have a different perspective on the whole thing. I myself feel we do not need to police the world. Yet sometimes it feels that other countries espect us too. Countries get mad if we don't help someone out or help defend them. I don't believe in isolationism as its what got us in WW2 but we need to find some sort of happy medium for us and the world.

Sat May 07, 07:46:00 AM  
Blogger nixonreed said...

I meant what we hear about the threats of what Saddam posses against us. War is a tragedy and should not be used in anyway, but is a sad reality of our lives. Your photos are horrifying and should haunt me for months to come. Yet I cannot change my belief due to the very fact I don't want to see those photos ever again. I wish this upon no one, but my fears of threat contains me too much to say taking Saddam out was a bad idea. I still feel it to be a good idea. There was an excellent book by Richard Preston where it described of all the germ warfare possesed by Saddam. That scared me more than any nuclear devices he owned. The photos made a great article even better.

Sat May 07, 11:28:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, congrats for being googled.....

Sat May 07, 07:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Listen..not itme to read the whole thing...will read latr, but I m sure its goooddd
read the last point about the east coast thing...?? really?

er...democrats( If u mean as in the party) are no better. remember Clinton and his war games?? he was cuter though..
— Ranj

Sat May 07, 07:18:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why don't you get a tag- board?? Ranjni

Sat May 07, 07:29:00 PM  
Blogger Nightcrawler said...

Do you have any pictures of the mass graves that we are exposing or the people who were disfigured by Ba'athists?

Sun May 08, 11:54:00 AM  
Blogger Sunil Natraj said...

Sir,
This reflects, quite frankly very poorly on you. To say whom you are goin to target next or rather kill next is quite mortifying.

Who may I ask, authorized you to police the world? There is some organization known as the U.N. So, if you choose to say that this shall continue, you are no different than those fundamentalists who spread terror.

Sun May 08, 01:03:00 PM  
Blogger Nightcrawler said...

Last night, I was feeling a bit cranky. Look, it's not that I like war, or that I have nothing against killing people. Here's the deal: We are living in dangerous times where brutal people are waiting for an opportunity to kill millions of innocent men, women, and children. It's quite simple, we have to kill them, before they kill us.

Also, there is lots of killing around the globe that needs to be stopped. The genocide in Darfur comes instantly to mind. Zimbabwe has a dictator that could use a lead infusion. The question that should be answered is, "How much tyranny should we tolerate?".

The lessons that we have learned from the recent past are clear to me. Tyranny in remote places such as Afghanistan can have a real effect in Manhattan, or Washington, D.C., or even in a field in Pennsylvania. We cannot allow criminals and despots to turn their countries into breeding grounds for terrorism, genocide, and torture. We cannot stand idly by while people are enslaved or slaughtered and bulldozed into mass graves.

In the words of Thomas Jefferson...
"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

The UN was created to deal with exactly these types of circumstances. They have demonstrated their effectiveness time and again in places like Rwanda, Sudan, and many others around the globe. If they will not fulfill their purpose, who shall?

The responsibility falls on the shoulders of America, Great Britain, and Australia, as well as our other allies.

I have a feeling this is going to end up as a post on my blog.

Keep up the good work!

Mon May 09, 08:07:00 AM  
Blogger Nightcrawler said...

Katie, as far as taking another life to save your own, that's a judgement call that only you can make. When deciding, you have to consider the impact that your death would have on your family, your friends, and your community. You sound like a great person, and I'm sure that a lot of people would miss you. I think losing one thug, psychopath, serial rapist, etc. would be a fair trade to keep a person such as yourself around.

As far as saving us from ourselves... that is only possible if we as a society evaluate all of the things that are causing us to go nuts and decide to fix them. Time constraints, caused by having both parents working, often leave these psycho soccer moms with very little time. Stress from managing careers and households at the same time can cause excessive hostility. The coarsening of society has caused a general loss of any sense of decorum or respect in dealing with others. So many things to change, I really can't tell you where we should start.

As far as our cherry-picking who we are going to liberate and when... all I can say is that it's not me calling the shots. I hate to see any people being oppressed by their government, by militant religious groups that enjoy the support of their government, and if it were up to me, we'd probably be engaged in a perpetual war. Of course, all of this wouldn't be necessary if the UN was capable of policing things themselves, but all they seem to be good at is embezzlement, fraud, and kissing up to these dictators and tyrants.

Thu May 12, 09:28:00 PM  
Blogger Toad734 said...

With regards to your point that we should not interfere with other countries, I have to point out that war is not the only way we interfere with other countries.
One way we interfere, the one which explains why the whole world hates us, is our continued financial support of Israel.

I would like us to keep to our own but that includes keeping our money for our own people and not making one of the smallest, richest, and most well armed countries in the Middle East, our biggest recipient of aid and funding.

Fri May 13, 07:27:00 PM  
Blogger Khalij-Khazar said...

Ousting Saddam Hussein is one thing, but what alternatives has the US brought to Iraq and its people? did they have a long term comprehensive plan for the aftermath of the Iraqi war? Has Iraq and the world become a safer place since the removal of Saddam? etc, etc, etc.
The US is not addressing the root cause of the problem, rather rubbing and spreading the problem.

Sat May 14, 05:19:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home