Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Oh Captain.. My Captain

I am an ardent fan of Sourav Ganguly and I make no bones about it. I receive quite some flak for this though, considering he is never in form. His wretched form still plagues him and is the bane of Indian cricket for now.

Yes, I am being impulsive, but can I ask all the detractors, what happened to the rest of the team in the Indo-Pak series? It was quite a collective effort I must say... to fail. The reason for my saying this is because no one is asking for the head of MR. Tendulkar, who besides he hundred at Ahmedabad, did nothing. No one is asking for the head of Yuvraj Singh, or Kaif or for that matter even Dravid. Posted by Hello



Despite all this, I say Ganguly should sit out because he is not contributing. But, as we are thirsting for his blood, I must ask you this; who will lead India in his absence? Therein lies in the void that nobody shall be able to fill. I personally do not opine that there is anyone in this Indian team capable of leading the team. Each one is good, excellent or any other adjectine you please, but they are not fit to the skipper. Dravid does stake his claim very well, but as far as captaincy goes, Ganguly is better fit for the job.

So, as he serves out his ban of six ODIS and possibly out of a lot more, we could reflect upon arguably, India's best captain to date. This is both Resultwise and Leadershipwise . People will argue that Ganguly is no loner the batsman of yore. True, but only partially. Take your mind back to the Natwest Final; India's only overseas ODI series win in many years and recollect that brilliant half century that put India on track. True, it was Yuvraj and Kaif that won us the mathc, but had it not been for Ganguly, we would have surely lost. Recollect that 90 he hit against England in the last ODI of the series in England. He did score 2 centuries in the World cup, although against lesser teams.

Anyways, my favourite player won't be seen for some time now. I only hope it shall not be forever.

In anticipation. Posted by Hello

3 Comments:

Blogger Ankit said...

You know, O Captain! My Captain! is a lovely poem. Read it :-)

Tue May 03, 07:31:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@Ankit : Lovely poem!!
But I doubt if any player from team India is going to mouen Gangul'y 'passing'...

Tue May 03, 09:37:00 PM  
Blogger Sunil Natraj said...

Hey guys,
I do know the poem; hence the title. Ganguly should not go. He is the best captian. But as they say, reality and truth are always the most bitter.

Wed May 04, 07:44:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home