Sunday, November 13, 2005

Swades


I finally saw Swades today, and I must admit, it would easily find a way into favorites. Truly a classy movie, atleast according to the standards set by bollywood for itself in the recent past.

I was wondering what actually makes it a good movie. I mean Shahrukh the star helps, but he is not the one who's carrying the movie on his shoulders. The script is pretty much bollywood fare too. I think what really stands out is Ashutosh Gowariker's direction. In my honest opinion, its simply sublime. The way he is able to capture the essence of rural India, the depiction of the conflict within the NRI's head and the subplot of the romance is nonpareil. Gayatri Joshi is brilliant. She simply oozes sensuality; potraying the Indian woman of today in complete measure. She's never overshadowed by Shah Rukh in scenes with him, and that in itself is quite an achievement. I remember, Shah Rukh in Amitabh in Mohabbattein- SRK looked miniscule on the screen in front of a behemoth of a Amitabh- a situation that should have occurred here as well but didn't. Her character has been perfectly etched to complement the character of the protagonist- who could be no other than Shah Rukh. Its really sad that she has gotten married and put paid to any hopes of a bollywood career. I really wish she would be back, and break the norm of not having a married actress in Bollywood.



Even the scene of the lighting of the bulb- I think the whole scene would have paled into insignificance if it had not been for the old, blind lady receiving power first. That smile she gives is indeed haunting. A classic illustration of the myriad pieces that encompass the humongous jigsaw puzzle that India so truly is. This was one movie in which I truly enjoyed the happy ending. It should have been this way.

Ashutosh Gowariker deserves his awards in totality. Awesome movie. Simply put.

4 Comments:

Blogger Rachna said...

i loved swades too...think its srk's best work to date...he was restrained and mature
as for gayatri joshi...learn to look beyond the pretty face sunil...she was awful...

Wed Nov 16, 09:28:00 AM  
Blogger Sunil Natraj said...

I beg to differ. Its not just the pretty face. If that was the case, I would have loved Ash in Albela (I wonder how I saw that in the theatre!!). I thought she was good. Real good. She fit her role to a tad IMHO. As for SRK, I have come to expect a standard from him, so wouldnt go ga ga. Personally, I felt he was better in DDLJ than this.

Wed Nov 16, 04:05:00 PM  
Blogger Pranav said...

I completely agree with your view that Ahutosh Gowarikar deserves all the accolades that come his way for Swades.But,according to me the scene which captured the true essense of of the movie was the one where SRK buys a glass of water from a boy for 25p and the boys starts counting the change to be given back to SRK.Slowly as the train starts moving the tears start rolling out from SRK and the viewers eyes.A brilliant scene.

Mon Nov 21, 07:05:00 PM  
Blogger Vignesh said...

Wonderful screenplay, talented acting, Terrific work by Rahman.
Im afraid, the movie was doleful. So long ?? By jove!!
Characteristic 'Ashutosh Gowarikar' work, but not a patch before Lagaan.. and yeah, i've taken ur link off my blog as u wanted. I'm high on spam ..
Godspeed

Tue Nov 22, 11:19:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home