Sunday, May 14, 2006

Of Women and Children

Women are an amazing species. And I love them. Their passions are something we men can never understand; but isn't that what us makes love them?

As much as I love children, I am not a woman. I mean the affection that women have for children is something that we men can never feel, or at the very least never express. I love children. But I can never match the passion that my mom and grandmother, and in general speak with on children. Even my lady friends speak so affectionately of children. Piquant, isn't it?

My sister (cousin) has recently delivered; in December actually. The kid is unbelievably cute. Hes just turned over, and repeatedly bangs his head on the floor, as he is unable to lift his heavy head. When I mentioned this to my mom and grandmother, they went into nostalgic overdrive. I got a detailed description as to how children are at this age. As to how they turn over and dont know how to turn back and then get frustrated, how they repeatedly bang their head on the floor, how they learn to sit down, how they begin walking, how they have their first step and so on. I could only sit for 15 minutes and enjoy two women speak with rhetoric on their favoured topic.

Throughout those 15 minutes I hardly paid any attention as to what they were saying, but I was having an amazing conversation with their eyes. My eyes were rivetted to theirs as they recounted scores of children. They had after all seen plenty of them. My grandmother at least.

My cousin called today morning. And then suddenly we had two neonatologists in the room. "Feed him this." "Dont do that" "Dont feed him that". You know the rest.

Men will never speak of children in this manner, irrespective of how many children they have encountered. My father and uncle are classic examples. I guess testosterone is weird. Well progesterone and oestrogen at work are worth watching.

Anyways, here is my lovely nephew:


7 Comments:

Blogger Pranav said...

Really nice pics.The guys cute re

Sun May 14, 12:38:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and sunil.. name the kid after me.... my name.... fir shayad smart banega woh!!!... and the kids' cute........
smart banega woh.... just follow the doctors prescription..hahaha...

--the devil

Sun May 14, 12:58:00 PM  
Blogger Sunil Natraj said...

I dont think naming him after "the devil" or his alias is a very smart idea.

Btw his name is Arnav.

Sun May 14, 01:27:00 PM  
Blogger Vivek said...

There is nothing like a newborn baby to renew your spirit - and to buttress your resolve to make the world a better place.
Please convey my regards to your sister and lots of love to the little angel! May God grant him success and happiness as vast as his name implies!

Mon May 15, 04:34:00 PM  
Blogger humbl devil said...

cute...very cute...
& mischievous...

Wed May 17, 09:00:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yup u said it right even i have a niece of almost that age....they are just angels....nice name of ur blog....i gave the same name to my literary club!

Sun Jun 11, 01:53:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

One of the chhhweeeetest pics I hav ever come across.....n one of the best blogs as well!...Not only for its rare topic..bt also for its unadulterated depiction of feelings....

Fri Dec 08, 04:34:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home