Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Sitcoms and Soaps

I spend a lot of time watching television. And half the time all I do surf channels. Why? Most of the shows suck. Period.

We have these long drawn out, melodramatical soaps here in India. They apparently are "The biggest thing on Indian television". The most popular show on T.V has the leading lady, who in real life is barely 30, and looks not much older on the tube playing a grandmother! If this is not bad enough, we have her grandmother in it too. The show has had a time jump thereby "aging" all the characters by around 20 years. The grndmom though seems to have grown younger. If one counts her age logically, she must be around 120 years old. She has 20 year old great grandchildren! And a great-great one is on the way.

Anyways, I really wonder what is that constitutes a good programme on T.V. I am a fan of "The Apprentice". "Friends" and "Sienfeld" are the two sitcoms I really enjoyed. I guess the real reason that these shows became so popular was primarily because they are more of something you can articulate with. Thats why they sell. The show which I was talking about, albeit nonsensical, seems to strike a chord with all the housewives across the country. But I really believe in shows that shall have the whole family interested rahter than just the ladies of the house.

But that doesnt rid of my predicament. Here I am watching some dumb Malayalam sitcom, a language of which I have no clue, because there is no othere T.V in my house.

10 Comments:

Blogger Praveen said...

I understand how you feel, particularly with a lot of soaps in malayalam channels as well.

The sitcoms you mentioned are really good. I was also a big fan of "The Wonder Years", i think that was one great series.

Wed May 25, 10:15:00 AM  
Blogger nixonreed said...

Well, me myself I watch a lot of british television. Like The Office, Knowing Me Knowing You, and The Kumars at No. 42 and Goodness Gracious me are some comedies I enjoy. I have a list of the top ten shows of all time on my list. It is a list of opinion.

Wed May 25, 11:38:00 AM  
Blogger Ankit said...

OK, the list of shows worth watching on Indian television at present. I should know, I've watched *everything* on TV so far ;)

In no particular order:

CSI (on AXN) - pretty neat if you catch episodes once a while.

Frasier (Star World) - comedic gold. I can't catch the new season, all these damn sitcoms that the family watches come in the way.

The Practice (Star World) - the season that's on is *terrific*. But I guess you'd have to be familiar with the show to care...

The Simpsons (Star World) - I always catch this daily if nothing else is on.

The Kumars at No. 42 is great if you're into that kind of thing. I missed the run of The Office around here, again due to the family watching other stuff.

Then of course there are the shows that are not airing at present, but should be back. Six Feet Under, Angel, etc... And a few shows that will never make it here, but I got my hands on anyway (Firefly!).

Really though, avoid seeing too many sitcoms and "reality" shows.

Wed May 25, 12:19:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yea sunil.. agree with u..

by the way.. have u caught any of the episodes of this new series called 'joey'?

its based on the character 'joey' in 'friends'..hillarious and adorable..

inspite of his obvious low IQ.. its amazing how he survives evrythin.. kinda like forest gump.. but only funnier..

and apart from joey there is his brilliant nephew Michael who is studying to be a rocket scientist.. and the 2 make an absolutely ridiculous pair.. though very very endearing..

anyway.. i checked out ur blog after a long time.. and the transition it has gone through is commendable..

keep up the good work.. take crae and chao..

Thu May 26, 03:54:00 PM  
Blogger Sunil Natraj said...

Hi Neel,

Nice to have you here. Always enjoy an august audience. Have already watched the whole of the first season of Joey. I don't know why but I enjoy slapstcik humour.

Ayways, how studies?

Regards,
Sunil.

Thu May 26, 09:06:00 PM  
Blogger Ankit said...

"joey...kinda like forest gump" Blasphemy I say!!!

Thu May 26, 09:54:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Charmed. Does that count??:))

Fri May 27, 07:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow!..thts a LOT of writing in one week ..u r steadily becoming quite a pleasure to read and i quite agree with most of ur views..u know what i feel sets a good writer apart from the rest, the ability to make even the most mundane aspects of our life interesting..

Sat May 28, 10:26:00 PM  
Blogger Sunil Natraj said...

Thanks Miss Wildrose (Am I right??),

I really appreciate the compliment. Coming from you, its all the more sweet as youo are a distinguished writer yourself. Please stop by regularly.
Regards,
Sunil.

Sun May 29, 05:49:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey there.. totally loved ur blog.. i didnt chk it coz i really didnt now much about it... well take care n kip up the gud work..

i totally agree tat those huge melodramas r not worth watchin.. but try n find the humour in it.
me too luv d apprentice.. but dont get to watch it yaar..

have fun.. meet u in college...

Wed Jul 13, 08:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home