Sunday, May 22, 2005

Entrepreneurship.

I had a really bad day yesterday. The computer is not worling with the power supple all screwed up. It's overheating and the computer just shuts down midway. Just about managed to visit a few blogs yday.

So that left me musing at home, wondering what makes people thus. Wha makes each of us so differet? A trait which very few of us possess is that of entrepreneurship.
On hindsight, I think this though stemmed from watching "The Apprentice" the previos day.

It's amazing how so many people shirk away from taking that risk when it comes to marketting a product or even starting one's complany, however small it is. It's something that I do not possess. I do not have it in me (in my opinion) to start a company of my own. I am already convinced it shall fall flat on it's nose, if I did float one. One primary reason would be the aversion to risk. Most of these guys are big risj takers. Look at my uncle for example. He left a high paying job to start his own business. So much so that he used to stand on the neach every morning trying to advertise his new product. Now the cash registers wont stop ringing. From the small room of his house where he used to grind the seeds to make his health drink, to exporting it to atleast 10 countries, he has come full circle. Coming to think of it, not yet. I think he shall when it reaches every country on this planet.

Another example is my friend who teaches younger students. Makes quite a buck. The way he advertises himself is something I must learn.

I am quite an extrovert. Ankit will vouch for it. I had always opined that these two qualites are complimentary. Yet I am never able to be that guy who takes a lot of risks. Never worked in the corporate world and so I would like to know? Are there the conservatives there too?

I would love to carry on this article, but sadly cannot. Have to leave. Shall continue tommorow.

Regards,
Sunil.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill Gates was quite an introvert, you know?

Sun May 22, 08:19:00 AM  
Blogger Sunil Natraj said...

For every Gates, there are Rockefellers galore.

Sun May 22, 09:06:00 AM  
Blogger Praveen said...

I think that along with the risk taking attitude, you need to have a good foresight for you to succeed and make it on your own. People who have had this combination have succeeded in what they have ventured out to do.

Sun May 22, 05:12:00 PM  
Blogger JPS said...

I think a lot o folks find a middle ground between the all-or-nothing of working for someone else or establishing a business as the sole means of subsistence. Many do self-employed work as a supplemental income, while establishing the goal or possibility of having it as the principal source of income eventually. I've had a business idea for a few years now for a concierge service that I may take up for added income after I graduate. So risk isn't necessarily that defining a factor if one keeps expectations reasonable. I say if you ever have an idea, Sunil, pursue it.

Mon May 23, 12:23:00 AM  
Blogger Sunil Natraj said...

Hamel Sir,
What you say is tru. I would like to add one more thing. In the end there must be satisfaction. If there is no satisfaction you would never be happy, and you would never have the feeling of accomplishment which is what we strive for.
Regards,
Sunil.

Mon May 23, 05:46:00 AM  
Blogger Sunil Natraj said...

Sir,
Thats the most wonderful sentence:"We are each an experiment of one". Awesome.

Mon May 23, 09:40:00 AM  
Blogger ミス・イギリス said...

Oh My God, you watch the apprentice?! That's so cool! I didn't even think they had it in India. It's just ended here.
The scary woman one reminds me of my GCSE English teacher who told me i'd get a C if I was lucky, and I got AA. Mwa ha ha ha!!
Charlie xx

Mon May 23, 03:50:00 PM  
Blogger Sunil Natraj said...

India is not that backward :p

Mon May 23, 05:52:00 PM  
Blogger Doug The Una said...

A little insight from someone who started his own business in the '90s and now runs someone else's: Risk-taking is a small component of entrepreneurship. A broad skill set is a big one. I lack the organization to maintain my operations or the personality to market. The result was, more and more time was spent on the things I suck at and don't care for, less and less on the skills I was selling. After a couple years I took a job at 1/3 the income just to refocus my efforts on my strengths. Taking over an established organization was comparatively easy. Unless you start with investment capital, the real question for a potential entrepreneur is not so much "do you dare?" but "can you thrive while you are the only employee."

Mon May 23, 09:09:00 PM  
Blogger Nightcrawler said...

I think that if it were easier to set up a business and to manage one, many more people would do it. As technology advances, and home computers are becoming more and more powerful, and more services are becoming available online, we are seeing a huge shift towards home-based businesses. Granted, not every business is going to succeed, and not every person is meant to own, operate, or manage a business, but it is becoming increasingly easy for people to give it a try.

Mon May 23, 11:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home